On July 20, 2014 I turned 32 years old. What’s the best way to celebrate a birthday? Running a 50k trail race and becoming an ultra runner. 🙂
Jeanette (my partner in crime) and I decided that since we were already trained for the marathon distance, we might as well go to the next step and try a 50k. FYI: trail running is so beautiful but very different from road running. Our pace is significantly slower on the trails and our goal for this race was simply to finish.
My alarm went off at 3:20 am and it was a little rough getting out of my nice warm bed when the rest of the world was sound asleep. I hit up the local gas station for some much needed caffeine and drove to Jeanette’s house. We then drove an hour to Upper Marlboro, MD to run the Rosaryville 50k. It was a beautiful morning…way cooler than our usual late July temperatures.
The before picture. Frank and Meg joined in on the fun and rocked the 10 miler.
The 50k was three 10 mile loops and the course was great. It was fun to run in a new place and challenge my body in a way it had never been challenged before.
The Ups and the Downs:
1. The scenery was beautiful.
2. The first 10 miles felt SO LONG and I got really scared that I wouldn’t be able to finish.
3. Animal crackers are my new favorite “fuel”. Stauffer’s brand all the way.
4. The volunteers were awesome and the aid stations were stocked with supplies and food. They were so nice and refilled our water bottles at each stop.
5. Jeanette is an awesome running partner and she keeps me going when I want to stop.
6. Jeanette had an entire aid station sing me happy birthday as I ran in. I really needed a pick me up and it made my day. 🙂
7. I fell 3 times… Fall #1: not too bad, just some dirt. Fall #2: bad, so bad, blood, bruises, confidence crushed. Fall #3: rubbed more dirt in my wounds and my right knee was screaming.
8. At around mile 25 I took a cup of what I thought was Gatorade and chugged it. It tasted so wonderful and sugary…because it was Mountain Dew. I loved it.
9. Once Jeanette saw that we could make it under 6 hours, she made it our mission.
10. We finished in 5:55:06 and it felt amazing to be done.
Will we do another one? We might just have one planned for November. 🙂
I spent the rest of my bday heading on vacation, eating McDonalds fries, and enjoying a huge Dairy Queen blizzard. 🙂
50k, we will see you again soon!